Monday, November 7, 2011

Sunday, Fun Day!


Sunday morning in Southern California was not very sunny at all yesterday! We had planned a morning out to the Southern California Handweavers' Guild Annual Weaving & Fiber Festival, which was being held at the Torrance Cultural Arts Center.  Torrential rain was not going to deter me from the plan - I am British after all!

I am so pleased that we did make the effort.  It was so great to see so many people passionate about their craft.  Now, I have to say, I did feel a bit of an imposter because, wait for it - I can't knit!  I know, I know - and it drives me nuts.  I can turn my hand to making most things, but knitting alludes me.  It was though a real feast for the eyes - so many colours and textures.

One of the reasons for going to the show was that I have a new idea that I wanted to explore with my jewellery and I thought that I might find some interesting buttons - no luck there, but I did find a new toy!  I was inspired by the work of Una from  Wooly Walkers.  I have made hooked rag rugs in the past and it just is a slow process.  I really loved the bags that Una was selling.  They were a little out of my price range, but, I really appreciated all the hard work that had gone into creating them.  Una showed me how quick and easy it is to use a needle punch.  I loved the fact that you cover the surface so quickly with this technique.    So, I bought a yard of Monk's Cloth and a needle punch!  It is not as though I have enough on my plate already, but I do love to try out new tools and I like the idea of making a bag.  So, as soon as I have experimented I will show you the results. 


I really wish that I had thought to take some pictures at the show, as there were lots of exciting things to see.  I loved the wool spun by Margie Bell and Lori Lawson's scarves were divine. 

On the way back from Torrance, the sun was finally breaking through the clouds so we decided to go for a walk around Balboa Island to stretch our legs and get some fresh air.  

As you come over the bridge onto the main island, there are some great shops and boutiques.
That is my daughter, Tabitha in the distance.  She is enjoying the sand between her toes!
One of the canals that run through the island
What a beautiful place to live!

So, so the sun, did eventually shine on Sunday and what a great day it turned out to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment